- Difficulty Easy
This canape recipe for these gorgeous little ‘pick me ups’ are the perfect finger food for any party. Try out this canape recipe for your next party!
Canape Recipe Ingredients:
- cooking spray
- 4 sheets filo pastry (Antoniou®)
- 1½ cups frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon salt-reduced taco seasoning
- 3 tablespoons red onion finely diced
- ½ cup tomato finely diced
- ¼ cup Lebanese cucumber finely diced
- ¼ cup green capsicum finely diced
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic (in jar)
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander finely chopped
- pepper to taste
- ½ large (60g) avocado fresh
- Preheat oven 180ºC fan forced.
- Cases: Coat a 24-cup mini muffin tray with cooking spray.
- Lay out one sheet of filo pastry and cut in half width ways, then cut each half into 3 strips, giving you 6 strips of filo.
- Cut each strip into quarters, giving you 4 squares, then coat with cooking spray.
- Place 4 squares on top of each other and press into a small muffin hole. Repeat until you have 6 cases made.
- Repeat process using remaining 3 sheets of filo pastry. This will give you a total of 24 cases.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until pastry has lightly browned. Leave to cool in tray.
- Mushy peas: Place peas into a microwave dish with a little water and microwave on HIGH for 5 minutes. Drain well.
- Place into a medium size mixing bowl, then mash peas to a reasonably smooth texture using a stick blender.
- Add taco seasoning and mix well. Refrigerate until required.
- Salsa: Place all salsa ingredients except avocado (which will be used at the end) into a medium size mixing bowl and combine well. Refrigerate until required.
- To assemble: Place a teaspoon of mushy peas into each case then top with a teaspoon of salsa.
- Place a small slice of avocado on top then serve.
NOTE: Cases will keep fresh and crispy in a well-sealed container for a week, so can be made ahead of time for convenience.
Variation: Top each case with a small slice of Tassal 60% reduced-salt smoked salmon (around 3g per serve; around 75g required). Curl salmon next to avocado.
Suitable to be frozen.
Dietitian’s Tip about this canape recipe: A fresh appetiser with loads of salad vegetables. The avocado adds high-density lipoprotein (HDL), which research has established helps with blood vessel health.
*Canape recipe from Symply Too Good to be True Book 7
|KILOJOULES||102 (cals 25)||127 (cals 30)|
|GI RATING||TOO LOW TO SCORE A GI RATING|