- Makes 6
- 90 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 6 Ingredients
Fantastic with cheese and crackers, also very nice on meat and salad sandwiches.
Ingredients (makes 6 Jars)
- 2kg Pickling Onions
- 1200mls White Vinegar
- 6tbs Sugar
- 2 Dessertspoons Salt
- 12 Peppercorns
- 12 Whole allspice (pimento)
- Remove the skins by pouring boiling water over the onions. This makes the skins come off more readily and also lessens the strength of the flavour.
- Soak the onions for a couple of days in a brine made up of a tablespoon of salt to every 600ml of water.
- Drain the onions well.
- Make up a pickle by boiling the vinegar, sugar, salt, peppercorns and allspice together.
- Pack the onions into sterilised pint jars and pour over the pickle that has been allowed to cool. Store in a cool dry place for 3-4 weeks before enjoying them.
I have omitted the brine from the list of ingredients as you only need to make enough of it to cover the onions. Adding 2 or 3 Birdseye chillies to each jar gives the onions a nice little kick.