- 30 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 11 Ingredients
These are one of the tastiest and easiest savoury slices I've ever made. Great hot or cold, at parties, picnics and bbq's.
- 1 loaf Bread (sliced)
- 250 gm Tasty Matured Cheese (grated)
- 375 gm Bacon Pieces (finely chopped)
- 1 medium Onion (finely diced)
- 1 Egg (beaten)
- Pinch Salt
- Pinch Black Pepper
- Pinch Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 cup Tomato Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- Good pinch Mixed Herbs
- Place bread slices on foil-lined oven trays. Mix all other ingredients in a large bowl, then spread a couple of tablespoons of the mixture on each slice of bread.
- Bake at 180 degrees C until slices are golden brown on the bottom (15 minutes should do, but depends on your oven). Do not overcook or they will dry out.
- When cooked, cool on a wire rack and cut each slice into 6 pieces before serving.
I used to take these on camping trips, and they went down really well at night with a couple of drinks. You can add some grated carrots or other vegies if you like, and sprinkle the top of the slices with some spring onions or herbs if you wish. Be careful if you add chopped tomatoes to the mix, as this can make the toast soggy.