- Serves 6
- 20 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 7 Ingredients
This Poppy Seed Penne with Smoked Chicken, Bacon & Spring Greens is a lovely light meal for the whole family. Lovely cold for lunches or a bbq too.
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 600g Durum Wheat Penne with added Poppy Seeds (made in the Philips Pasta & Noodle Maker)
- 4 Rashers Shortcut Bacon (rind removed)
- 1 Smoked Chicken Breast (finely sliced)
- 2 tbsp Pine Nuts, lightly toasted
- 1/2 cup Baby Peas (frozen is fine)
- 1/3 cup Mixture of finely sliced red onion, fresh oregano
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Make 600g of Durum Wheat Penne according to instructions with the Philips Pasta & Noodle Maker. When you add the flour, add 1 - 2 tablespoons of Poppy Seeds. Set aside until ready to cook.
- Toast the pine nuts lightly and set aside.
- Slice the bacon into strips (as thin as you like) and lightly fry. Once lightly golden, turn off the heat and add the frozen peas and the smoked chicken breast and toss lightly.
- Bring 1.5 litres of water to the boil and cook the poppy seed penne. Once al dente, pour into a large colander and rinse well with hot water. Drain well and drizzle with olive oil (to prevent the pasta sticking together).
- Add all the ingredients from the frypan (bacon, chicken) as well as the red onion and oregano and toss lightly.
- Serve onto plates and sprinkle with toasted pine nuts, additional herbs and poppy seeds if desired and a nice big crack of black pepper.
You can really add whatever flavours you like to this - or whatever fresh spring greens you have in the fridge or garden. Blanched snow peas or green beans would be lovely. If you don't like poppy seeds, you could use cracked black pepper, black mustard seeds or even chilli flakes if you like some heat.