- Serves 8
- 50 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 10 Ingredients
Light fluffy quiche filling with a flaky wholemeal olive oil crust. Quick and easy to make, and makes a delicious weeknight meal! Serve with a salad on the side.
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 2 cups wholemeal plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon butter for greasing
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup full cream milk
- 20g fresh chives
- 285 g piquillo peppers jar sliced (or any capsicum/peppers in a jar)
- 1 1/4 cups cheddar cheese grated
- Preheat the oven to 160C.
- To prepare your tin, tear off a piece of baking paper to fit your pan, hold it under your tap to wet the paper and scrunch it up into a ball, shake off excess water, grease the tin with a small amount of butter and place in the paper into the tin and press firmly.
- In a large bowl, add in the flour, salt, oil and water. Mix with a fork until just combined and then transfer to a work surface where you can gently knead the dough until it comes together in a ball. Sprinkle a little flour onto a bench and using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to a circle to fit your quiche tin. Gently pick up the pastry crust and lay it over the tin and press into the sides of the tin. Trim off the excess, prick the base with a fork and then bake for 15 minutes.
- While the base is cooking, make the filling. In a bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, chives and 1 cup of cheese. Once the base is cooked, remove it from the oven and pour in the egg mixture. Top with the slices of peppers and sprinkle over the remaining cheese. I like to place the quiche in another dish lined with baking paper just incase any egg mix leaks out during cooking.
- Place the quiche back into the oven for 30 - 40 minutes or until golden. You can test the quiche by inserting a skewer, it should be firm. Remove the quiche from the oven and set aside to cool in the tin. Serve warm.
You can use any type of peppers. For this recipe I used a 17cm tart tin with a removable base.