- Makes 40
- 40 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 8 Ingredients
you might need to add more flour to the mix if its too wet from the frozen berries, depends on how much liquid they give off. I also put in sultanas, cranberries, whatever is hanging around in bags in the pantry to add extra flavour
Ingredients (makes 40 sliced biscuits)
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 lemon rind, grated finely
- 2 cups plain flour, sifted
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 150 whole almonds
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup frozen berries
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Place sugar, eggs and grated lemon rind and vanilla essence in a large bowl. Beat with electric beaters until pale and thick.
- Fold in sifted flour, baking powder, berries and almonds, then use your hands to lightly knead dough on a floured work surface until the dough is smooth.
- Divide the mixture in half. Form 2 long logs about 25cm long x 5cm wide and place on prepared baking tray, leaving space between logs. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the dough is firm to the touch and slightly golden. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool completely (about an hour).
- Preheat the oven to 140°C.Once dough is cool, use a small serrated knife to cut each log on the diagonal in 0.5cm slices.
- Lay slices flat on the baking tray and return to oven for 15-20 minutes, turning once, until completely dried out. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for 2-3 weeks.