- Serves 18
- 20 minutes
- Difficulty Medium
- 12 Ingredients
These delightful little sweet hearts have a surprise center, with the use of the Chocorns to add a pop of wonder and delight. Raffaello or Ferrero Rocher can be easy substituted with great success. These lovely hearts are perfect for that festive get together dessert.
Ingredients (serves 18)
- 7 eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 Tbsp red food colouring
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1 litre vanilla ice cream, soft OR
- vanilla frosting
- pink decorating sugar
- 18 white Chocorns
- Preheat oven to 180C (160C fan forced). Spray heart shaped individual patty tin with cooking spray.
- Spoon soft ice cream into a oblong tray or tray of your choice lined with baking paper, smooth out the top and put into the freezer until hard. Cut out 18 pieces from the ice cream using a heart shaped cutter the same size as cakes. Return ice cream hearts to the freezer on a lined tray to refreeze.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form and set aside.
- Place egg yolks and sugar in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer for 8-10 minutes until pale and creamy.
- Add the vegetable oil, milk, vanilla essence, red food colouring, cocoa powder and self raising flour and beat on low speed until just combined. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter.
- Spoon mixture into prepared heart pans, pop a white chocorn into the middle of each cup cake, gently smooth the top and bake for 18-20 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Invert on a rack to cool.
- Dip the top of the ice cream hearts into pink decorating sugar.
- Place a heart ice cream onto the top of each cake OR ice with vanilla frosting and decorate with pink sugar.
- Place a white chocorn onto the top of each sweet heart and you are finished.
- If using the ice cream version. Serve immediately.