- Serves 30
- 1 hours
- Difficulty Easy
- 15 Ingredients
Revani is a semolina sponge cake with a touch of lemon and sweetened with a simple syrup flavored with orange zest. This recipe is delicious but if you can’t be bothered to make it yourself, visit the new Alevri HQ Bakery for delicious Greek delicacies.
Ingredients (serves 30)
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 cup Fine semolina
- 1 tbsp Baking powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) Unsalted butter
- 1 cup Sugar
- 3 Eggs seperated
- 1sp Vanilla extract
- 1 Lemon Zest
- 1 cup Milk
- Pinch Salt
- 1 1/2 Water
- 1 1/2 Sugar
- Two 3-inch Strips of orange zest
- 1 tsp Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 almonds, blanched, lightly toasted and chopped (optional) OR powdered sugar, ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease the bottom and sides a 9 x 13 pan and set aside.
- Mix the flour, semolina and baking powder in a medium bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter with sugar until light and fluffy. With the mixer running, add egg yolks one by one. Continue mixing until the batter turns a light yellow colour. Add vanilla extract and lemon zest.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture in three batches alternating with the milk.
- Clean the beaters well and beat the egg whites in a separate bowl with a pinch of salt until soft peaks form. Using a spatula, fold the egg whites into the batter until just blended. Don't mix too much or you will "flatten" your egg whites.
- Pour the batter into the pan, level with a spatula and bake for 45 minutes or until the cake is a nice golden colour.
- For the Syrup Add water, sugar, and orange zest to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add the lemon juice and cool.
- While the cake is still warm, cover it with the syrup. When the cake cools, you can sprinkle with some powdered sugar, cinnamon, and the almonds, if you're using them.