These little pikelets are a great after school snack for the kids or the perfect party food. Just change the toppings to suit.
Ingredients (makes 40 mini pancakes or 24 regular)
- 3 egg whites
- ½ cup carrots grated
- ⅓ cup zucchini grated
- 2 tablespoons shallots finely sliced
- ½ teaspoon white vinegar
- 1¼ cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon Flora Lite® margarine melted
- 2 tablespoons finely grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons seeded mustard (in jar)
- ½ teaspoon crushed garlic (in jar)
- 1 teaspoon salt-reduced vegetable stock powder
- pinch pepper
- 1½ cups self-raising flour
- cooking spray
- In a medium size mixing bowl beat the egg whites for one minute using an electric beater.
- Fold in carrots, zucchini and shallots and combine. Add vinegar to milk then melted margarine to milk and pour into mix. Add parmesan cheese, mustard, garlic, stock powder and pepper and fold together until blended.
- Sift flour into bowl in one go and fold gently until combined. Coat a non-stick frypan generously with cooking spray then drop a tablespoon of mixture onto hot frypan. Try and keep to a similar round shape. When mixture starts to bubble turn pikelets over and cook other side for a few minutes.
- Repeat this step spraying with cooking spray each time until all mixture has been used making 40 party size pikelets
- Topping suggestions: Pipe a small amount of low-fat cream cheese or a slice of low-fat cheese and top with any of these options such as a small slice of avocado, lean ham, smoked salmon, quarter slice cherry tomato, capsicum, cucumber, tomato relish or low-fat hommus. Or just have plain with a little low-fat margarine.