- Serves 12
- 40 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 12 Ingredients
A simple iced chocolate cake that can be used for almost anything- birthdays, anniversary’s, party’s etc.
Ingredients (serves 12)
- 60g butter
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- CHOCOLATE ICING
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1-2 tablespoons boiling water
- Preheat oven to moderate, 180C. Lightly grease a deep 20cm round cake pan and line base with baking paper. In a bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until smooth and creamy. Add egg, beating well.
- Sift flour and cocoa together, well. Fold into creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. In a jug combine water and soda. Lightly fold into mixture. Spread into prepared pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean and dry. Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- ICING. In a bowl, sift icing sugar and cocoa together well. Blend water into icing sugar mixture until smooth. Spread over cold cake.
Tip - Store cake in an airtight container for up to 5 days or wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for up to 2 months.