Soft shell crab and papaya salad is a Summer meal in our house. It has fresh tasty flavours and leaves you feeling light! You can also do this with fish, tofu, calamari, or even have the salad on it’s own.. it’s devine!
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 60 mls Fish Sauce
- 60 mls Soy Sauce
- 60 mls White Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 60 mls Water
- 1 long red Diced up chilli (seeds removed)
- 1 Green Papaya (shredded)
- 1 Carrot (Shredded)
- 1/4 cup Vietnamese mint (Thinly sliced)
- 2 tbsp Shallots (for topping)
- Crushed peanuts optional
- 4 Soft Shell crabs (thawed, washed and dried on paper towel)
- 3/4 cup Flour for dusting crab in
- 1 tsp Salt and pepper (into flour mixutre)
- 1 tbsp Paprika (into flour mixture)
- Oil For deep frying soft shell crab
- 2 Eggs (beaten for egg wash)
- Dressing: combine the fish sauce, vinegar, soy sauce, water and sugar in a bowl, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Taste it to make sure you get an even balance of sour, sweet, spicy etc.
- Combine the papaya, carrot, mint, crushed peanuts and fried shallots in a separate bowl. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Drain any excess water from the soft shell crab on paper towels. Once dry, place crabs in egg wash and then coat in flour mixture. (Light dusting). Deep fry soft shell crabs until golden brown. (Test by cutting through centre to see if it is cooked to your delight) but don't over cook otherwise crab will be very dry. Let the crab drain on a paper towel whilst you assemble your papaya salad
- Pour the Dressing into the papaya salad mix and stir through well using your fingers. Place the salad on a plate for serving and then top off with soft shell crabs. Pour remainder of the dressing over the top of the crabs/salad and ENJOY!