- Serves 4
- 30 minutes
- Difficulty Medium
- 11 Ingredients
My family says that this is far nicer than any special fried rice bought from a Chinese takeaway and much cheaper. I put the leftovers into a takeaway container to heat up and have during the week.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 cups rice (when cooked about 5-6 cups rice) ( I use Sunwhite low GI / Doongarra)
- 3 eggs
- 3 tabs olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons grated garlic
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon five spice powder
- 1 cup peas and corn, frozen
- 1 small tin prawns
- 500 grams beef ( I used Korean beef) or chicken or pork etc cut into pieces
- 4 rashers short cut bacon cut into pieces
- Place 2 cups of rice in saucepan. Add 3 cups of water. Stir, just bring to the boil, turn heat down to lowest setting 1. Cover with lid and cook 15 minutes. Turn off heat and leave to sit on hotplate for 5 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Lightly beat 3 eggs together, cook in saucepan till set, cut into pieces.
- In a large frypan, heat up oil on medium heat. Then add grated garlic, grated onion, 5 spice powder and onion and cook until onion is lightly cooked and soft.
- Then add rice, cooked egg, peas, corn, prawns, bacon pieces, stir and mix all together. Add meat of choice, stir and cook all together. Serve hot.
I use low GI rice which is gluten free and suitable for diabetics. Any rice can be used, cook to directions on packet. Any meat can be used in the recipe or omitted if preferred.