Try this versatile spiced butter cake recipe – serve a piece plain for afternoon tea or jazz it up into a spectacular birthday cake!
- 250g Butter, softened
- 1 cup Caster Sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups (300g) Self-Raising flour
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp. ground Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground Ginger
- In a mixer beat together the butter and sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy. Then whilst the mixer is still on add in the vanilla, cinnamon and ginger.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add in the mix alternating the flour and milk.
- Divide mixture evenly among the prepared pans and smooth the surface.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centres comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool in pan for before turning on rack to cool completely.