- Serves 6
- 140 minutes
- Difficulty Medium
- 12 Ingredients
This recipe for Steak and Stout Pies with Smashed Peas is a tasty twist on an Aussie classic and only 12 SmartPoints value per serve.
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1.1kg lean beef chuck steak, fat trimmed, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbs plain flour
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- ¾ cup (185ml) dry Irish stout (Guinness)
- ½ cup (125ml) beef stock
- 300g button mushrooms
- 1 sheet frozen reduced-fat puff pastry, just thawed
- 2 cups (240g) frozen peas
- 1 fresh mint sprig
- 2 tsp Weight Watchers Canola Spread
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook beef, turning, in 3 batches, for 3–4 minutes or until browned and using the same amount of oil for each batch. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat remaining oil in same pan over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring, for 4 minutes, or until softened. Add flour and paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Return beef to pan with stout and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Add mushrooms and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until beef is tender and sauce has thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200°C or 180°C fan-forced. Cut pastry into 6 even rectangles. Using a small sharp knife, lightly score a diamond pattern into pastry (don't cut all the way through). Lightly spray a baking tray with oil. Place pastry on prepared tray. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Boil, steam or microwave peas and mint until just tender. Drain and discard mint. Coarsely mash peas. Stir in spread and season with salt and pepper. Top beef mixture with pastry lids and serve with peas. Serve with 0 SmartPoints value steamed baby carrots.
Based on the Weight Watchers brand new SmartPoints system, each recipe reflects the latest in healthy eating, incorporating nutritious foods that are lower in sugar and saturated fat, and higher in protein. All recipes are part of the newly refreshed Weight Watchers Your Way Program. The new holistic Program is a way of living, not a diet. The best bit is nothing’s off limits, and all recipes are easy to make for you to enjoy delicious food with the people you love.