- Serves 12
- 5.5 hours
- Difficulty Medium
- 12 Ingredients
This is so delicious and cheaper than buying a Christmas pudding
Ingredients (serves 12)
- 3 Cups Dried mixed fruit (chopped)
- 3/4 Cup Dried cranberries (chopped finely)
- 3/4 cup Water
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 90 grams Butter
- 1 teaspoon Bicarb soda
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 3/4 Cup plain flour
- 3/4 Cup Self raising flour
- 1 Teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 Cup Bunderberg Rum (or any dark rum)
- Combine fruit, water, sugar and butter in a medium saucepan. Stir over low heat until butter melts and sugar dissolves, slowly bring to the boil. Reduce heat, then simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a large heat proof bowl, stir in bicarb soda, allow to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Stir eggs, sifted dry ingredients and rum into the fruit mixture.
- Grease a 2 litre pudding steamer, spoon mixture into steamer. Top with pleated baking paper and foil, secure with kitchen string or pudding steamer lid.
- Place pudding in a 4.5 litre slow cooker, with enough boiling water to come halfway up the side of the steamer. Cook, covered on high for approximately 5 hours, replenishing boiling water as required.
- Carefully remove pudding from slow cooker, allow to stand for 10 minutes before turning onto a plate.
I have been making this recipe for a few years, my family love it. I usually make it the day before Christmas, or make 2 and pop one in the freezer