Even in the middle of winter, eating these gorgeously fresh sandwiches will make you feel like Spring has sprung. Take advantage of our beautiful, juicy strawberries and give those boring old sandwiches a fruity lift.
Ingredients (serves 4 | makes 4 )
- 5 ounces Devonshire cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 8 thin slices white bread
- 1 large cucumber, seeded and thinly sliced into 24 pieces
- 3 large QLD strawberries
- Combine the Devonshire cream, basil, and lemon zest in a small bowl. Fold until well combined. Spread a thin layer of the cream on one side of each slice of bread. Add an even layer of cucumber slices to four of the bread slices then top the cucumbers with an even layer of strawberry slices.
- Place the other four slices of bread (with the cream) cream-side down on the strawberry slices. Slice the crust off the sandwiches. Then slice each sandwich into 4 small triangles.
- NOTE: You can make your own Devonshire cream with cream cheese, sugar, and heavy cream. Just beat 4 oz of cream cheese with 1 tablespoon of sugar. Slowly add a 1/2 cup of heavy cream and mix until stiff peaks form.