A more yummy and healthy version to store bought school foods!
Ingredients (makes 10 bars)
- 1/2 cup Sunflower oil
- 1/2 cup Honey
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 2 Cups Whole Wheat Pastry Flour (or Plain)
- 1 Cup Oats
- 1/2 cup Desicated Coconut
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 small punnet strawberries
- To make pastry. whisk together the oil and honey. Then add the egg and vanilla and whisk well. Add on top the flour, oats, coconut, salt and baking powder and mix well unitl a dough forms.
- In saucepan, add cut and washed strawberries with 1 tbsp. of water and slowly bring to a medium heat. Using a wooden spoon, help the strawberries to soften and break down. Pour into blender and give a good blitz. NOTE: If you want the berry mix thicker, add 1/2 tbsp. of corn flour to drop of water to make a liquid and pour berry mix back into saucepan and add the corn flour mix and stir over low heat to thicken.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface. Cut into 3x3 inch squares. Spoon some berry mix onto one side of dough and then fold other half over and pinch to seal. Place on lined baking tray. Bake for 15min on 180. Don't worry if they look like they are breaking on top, once cooled they will go hard, and cracks will close up a little.
Substitutions can be made. Use coconut oil instead of sunflower oil. Could also use any fruit you want for the inside, such as mixed berries, apple or banana.