- Serves 8
- 90 minutes
- Difficulty Medium
- 17 Ingredients
This pudding is delicious and lovely with ice cream. It may look hard to make but its worth the effort. I just started putting cashews on the top but its just as good without them.
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 1 kilo sweet potatoes
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons whiskey
- 1/4 orange finely grated zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 cups soft white bread, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup whole cashews roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- Wrap the sweet potatoes individually in foil and bake until soft when pierced with a fork, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Let cool remove the foil, cut the potatoes in half and scoop the flesh from the skins. Transfer the cooked sweet potato to a food processor, add 1/2 cup of the milk and blend until smooth.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, granulated sugar, brown sugar, salt, vanilla, whiskey, orange zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and allspice together until smooth. Meanwhile, bring the remaining 1/2 cup milk and the cream to a boil in a small saucepan. Slowly pour the hot cream over the egg mixture, whisking constantly. Add the sweet potato puree and stir until evenly combined. Add the bread and gently stir to combine. Refrigerate the bread pudding base for at least 2 hours and up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat a 9-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Stir the bread pudding base then pour it into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the top with the cashews and turbinado sugar and bake until golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes.