- Serves 4
- 25 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 11 Ingredients
This soup is sure to warm you up this winter! It’s quick and easy to make.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can coconut milk (full fat or reduced - up to you)
- 3/4 cup uncooked red lentils (rinsed)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 handful baby spinach
- In a large pot heat up some oil and add the onion and garlic - sauté over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes until the onion softens.
- Stir in all the spices and mix until combined. Continue cooking for about 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, coconut milk, lentils and stock. Stir to combine and add salt and pepper to taste. Increase the heat to high and bring to a low boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes or until the lentils are soft.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the spinach until wilted. Serve in bowls with toasted bread if desired.
Why not make a double batch and store in the freezer for mid week meals when you run out of time - this recipe freezes really well.