A wholesome and adaptable base recipe with the added bonus of hiding multiple veggies within it!
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 500g Minced beef - buy the best quality you can afford
- 1 jar Store bought pasta sauce. We go for a vegetable filled variety
- 2 Diced onions
- 2 Diced (unpeeled) zucchini
- 2 Diced (unpeeled for us) carrots
- 1 Diced sweet potato
- 1 Handful chopped sliced beans
- 1 Tin drained beans (eg chick peas, cannelloni or kidney beans etc - your choice!)
- 2 Teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Teaspoon white sugar
- Sprinkle Salt & Pepper
- Dice vegetables
- Cook mince in frypan with 1 tsp oil (opt). Once browned, drain and set aside.
- Cook onion until translucent then add other veg and cook approx 10 mins or until softened. We tend to par boil veg so this step is quicker.
- Add cooked mince and add sauces and seasonings. Allow to simmer for approximately 20 mins on a low heat, lid on, stirring occasionally.
- Serve warm atop cooked pasta (we tend to use tri colour or wholemeal spirals) and top with grated tasty cheese.
We use whatever is in season so the veggies vary year round...but it is always gobbled up by our Miss! We tend to make a double batch and freeze portions and sometimes use the slowcooker - low for 8 hours then check to ensure meat is well cooked through.