- Serves 16
- 75 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 14 Ingredients
If you love coffee and you love chocolate, then this is the recipe for you. This Vegan Chocolate Coffee Cake from the GoodnessMe Box kitchen is DELISH. Topped with a cashew and coconut frosting, it is the perfect, healthy, sweet treat.
Get more recipes like this on the GoodnessMe Box blog, where you can discover the latest and greatest health foods and recipes the world is going nuts about! Discover their monthly health food box too, where you can get 7-10 surprise products and samples for just $25 + Free Shipping and now they have a monthly kids box, too!
I don’t think I could think of a better combo than coffee and chocolate, can you? It reminds me of the German tradition of ‘Kaffee und Kuchen’ (coffee and cake), and the Swedish ‘fika’ (having a coffee and cake break from work with friends): the equivalent of the English teatime. And because this recipe for a vegan chocolate coffee cake is vegan, it’s a litter healthier for you than the sugar-rich traditional chocolate cake. This recipe for vegan chocolate coffee cake gets its sweetness naturally from the bananas and maple syrup in the ingredients, but if you’re still finding it too sweet, then getting rid of the syrup and just sticking to the bananas for natural sugar is a great way to go. And to make this vegan chocolate coffee cake that little bit more of a treat is the delicious cashew and coconut frosting. The serving suggestion of adding fresh or frozen raspberries will also give each bite a fruity tang.
This recipe for can be enjoyed all through the day! You could have a slice of vegan chocolate coffee cake for morning tea to power you through the rest of the day, or afternoon tea to keep you going until dinner. It would be perfect as a healthy dessert, or even as a cheeky breakfast on a lazy Sunday morning.
Ingredients (serves 16)
- 450g mashed banana
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp Organic Mountain coffee
- 3 cups almond meal
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed meal
- 1 cup raw cacao powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 cup coconut butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 160°C fan-forced and line a cake tin with baking paper.
- Blend bananas, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla and espresso powder in a blender or food processor until smooth and creamy.
- In a bowl combine the almond meal, flaxseed, cacao powder and baking powder.
- Pour the banana mixture over the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Spoon into a prepared baking tin and smooth out the top.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a tooth pick comes out clean.
- Meanwhile combine all of the frosting ingredients into a blender until smooth.
- Once the cake is cool spread over frosting and top with raspberries and coconut.
Oh my goodness! How good does this look? Let us know your thoughts once you've whipped up this little beauty! If you're after similar recipes, you might like to have a look at a few of these: