- Serves 6
- 1 hours
- Difficulty Easy
- 13 Ingredients
This vegetable and lentil soup is delicious and a hearty winter warmer! A great vegetarian option!
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 200g celery, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium green capsicum
- 2 bay leaves
- 3/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 400g lentils, rinsed and drained
- 3 kale leaves, chopped
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and celery and cook for 5 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add canned tomatoes, carrots, capsicum, bay leaves, oregano and cook for roughly 2 minutes.
- Pour in vegetable stock and lentils and cook on high heat, until mixture starts to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes ensuring that the pot is covered to reduce water loss. As the soup cooks, add more water if needed to keep everything covered.
- Stir in kale and cook for about 5 minutes, until kale is tender and wilted.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with fresh basil. Serve and enjoy!
Soup is a great meal for busy people. It is a good idea to double the amount you need, then divide into portions and freeze. This way you have ready-made meals during the week when you are too busy to cook. A handy tip to remember is when using canned foods choose ones that have ‘no added salt’ as canned foods often contain high amounts of sodium.