- Serves 12
- 30 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 11 Ingredients
Vietnamese Chicken Cold Rolls are just so easy to make and always seem to be incredibly popular. For a entree or light meal, use the largest rice paper wraps you can find and for smaller ‘finger food’ sized rolls, use the smaller rice paper wraps.
Ingredients (serves 12)
- 1 packet Large Rice Paper Wraps (usually in supermarkets and always in Asian Grocers)
- 1 Large Chicken Breast (leftovers from another dish to save some time)
- 1 large Carrot, peeled and sliced into fine sticks
- 1 Avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1 handful Snow Pea Sprouts (or you could use lettuce)
- 1 Lebanese Cucumber, sliced into short thin batons
- 1 nest Vermicelli Noodles, soaked in boiling water until softened and drained
- 1 Lemon
- 1 tbsp Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 1 tbsp Light Soy Sauce
- 2 cups Chicken Stock (if you are using uncooked chicken breasts)
Notes... Feel free to 'ad lib' with these Vietnamese Chicken Cold Rolls ... it's almost anything goes. We sometimes even put a platter of ingredients on the table and everyone makes their own rolls. The combos the kids come up with are (usually) really good! If you've made either the 3 Pepper Chicken Recipe or the Sweet Chilli Poached Chicken Recipe, leftovers from these dishes would be perfect in your Vietnamese Cold Rolls.If you've made either the 3 Pepper Chicken Recipe or the Sweet Chilli Poached Chicken Recipe, leftovers from these dishes would be perfect in your Vietnamese Cold Rolls.
- If you are using fresh uncooked chicken breasts, place the chicken stock in a small saucepan with a lid and bring to a slow boil.
- Gently lower the full chicken breast into the boiling stock and cover with the lid. Bring back to a very gentle boil and allow to cook for 10 - 12 minutes (length of time will depend on thickness of the chicken breast). Once cooked through allow to cool in the stock with the lid on.
- Prepare a dipping sauce by combining the Sweet Chilli Sauce and the Light Soy Sauce (or create your own) and place in a small bowl for serving.
- Prepare the carrot, cucumber, avocado and vermicelli noodles per instructions above in ingredient list. Place all the ingredients onto a tray so that they are all within easy reach of your working space.
- Remove the chicken from the stock and slice into 'finger' sized strips of chicken (or you can just shred the chicken). Add the chicken to the ingredients tray.
- Set a breadboard on a clean tea towel or hand towel on the kitchen bench (the towel will catch any excess water from the wraps). Then add boiling water to a large bowl. Working with one rice paper wrap at a time, dip into the boiling water for 1 - 3 seconds (depending on how hot the water is) and then remove and place flat onto the bread board. Using the little finger side of your hand, gently wipe across the wrap to remove any excess water. It will still be quite wet even after this - that is OK.
- Arrange a selection of ingredients in the centre of the rice paper wrap about 1/3 from the side closest to you at the bench. Be careful not to overfill the wrap otherwise wrapping will be very tricky.
- Once filled, fold the bottom up and over the ingredients first followed by the left side and then the right. Then roll over and over to the top until the roll is nice and tight.
- Set straight onto serving dish. If you are 'making for later' ensure you place the rolls on a sheet of baking paper and then place baking paper between each layer of rolls to prevent any sticking.
- Add the bowl of dipping sauce to the serving platter and add a few fresh herbs and a little fresh chilli for visual interest.
Recipe Vietnamese Chicken Cold Rolls
You may also like…
You May Like
Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.