- Serves 4
- 10 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 6 Ingredients
This warm green vege salad with bacon and pinenuts is a great dinner (or lunch) for nights when you need a big vege hit and don’t have much meat in the fridge. The bacon adds enough flavour that you don’t feel you’re missing out but with only 3 rashers, this is a nice cheap, healthy meal.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 - 2 med/large Zucchini
- 1 large Red Onion, peeled and cut into rounds about 0.5cm thick
- 2 cups Baby Brussel Sprouts
- 1/4 cup Pinenuts
- 3 Tbsp Olive, Walnut or Macadamia Nut or Peanut Oil (your choice)
- 3 rashers Short cut Bacon
- Remove ends of zucchini and cut into rounds about 0.5cm thick.
- Peel red onion and slice into rounds about 0.5cm thick.
- Nip the end off each brussel sprout and cut in half.
- Heat a deep sided frypan to high, add 1 Tbsp of oil then lay the bacon and the onion rings on the base of the frypan and brown off, turning to avoid sticking or burning.
- Allow to sizzle for 2 - 3 minutes then add the zucchini and allow to cook for a further 2 minutes, turning the zucchini to brown slightly on both sides.
- Add the brussel sprouts, pinenuts, salt and pepper and toss everything together. Continue to toss for another 2 minutes until brussel sprouts are bright green and pinenuts are toasted.
- Remove from heat and drizzle remaining oil over to serve.
You can go to town with this warm green vege salad with bacon and pinenuts. Add some shaved parmesan to serve, add chilli flakes, crumble a little fetta on top or even add chicken tenderloins. If it's not substantial enough as a meal for you, use it as a side at barbecues or just family dinners.