Linseed also known as flaxseed, is one of the most potent sources of omega 3 essential fatty acids found in nature. It has a huge amount of health benefits and because it is derived from a plant source, it is ideal for those on a vegetarian and/or vegan diet.
This loaf recipe is not only good for you but also delicious. My 8 and 11 year old boys love this bread so much that half the loaf is consumed before it has the chance to cool down!
Makes = 1 loaf
Special Equipment = 1 x Mastrad 1000g Capacity Silicone Terrine
- 300ml lukewarm water
- 7g dried yeast
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 260g wholemeal plain flour
- 140g strong, high protein plain flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 1/4 cup brown linseed (flaxseed)
- 1/4 cup sunflower kernels
- Place water, yeast and honey into a mixing bowl. Mix to combine and set aside in a warm place for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- Place a flat beater attachment onto an electric mixer. Place flours, salt and linseed into the mixer bowl and mix on low speed to combine.
- Add yeast mixture and mix on low speed until mixtures starts to form a ball.
- Remove flat beater attachment and replace with a dough hook. Knead on low speed for 8 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Add sunflower kernels and knead for a further minute.
- Remove dough and place in the Mastrad 1000g Capacity Silicone Terrine.
- Cover with the Mastrad Silicone Terrine Lid and set aside in a warm place for 30 minutes or until dough starts to touch the lid.
- Remove lid and bake in a preheated oven at 190°C fan forced for 30-35 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack. Slice when cool.
- A cooked loaf should sound hollow when tapped.
- If you would like more linseeds in your loaf, add an additional 1/4 cup.