This chicken and quinoa salad recipe is courtesy of Zoe Bingley-Pullin on behalf of My Food Bag.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- QUINOA SALAD
- 1 cup tri-colour quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 175g green beans
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1/2 red capsicum
- ORANGE VINAIGRETTE
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley leaves
- 1 orange, Zest and juice
- 1 tsp runny honey
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 x 3 pack chicken breasts
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Bring a full kettle to the boil. Combine quinoa, water and salt in a small pot. Bring to the boil, cover with a lid, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let steam, still covered, for a further 5 minutes. Drain any remaining liquid and set aside to cool slightly.
- While the quinoa is cooking, prepare the vinaigrette. Combine parsley, orange zest and juice, honey, olive oil and balsamic vinegar in a small bowl. Mix well, season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels and slice into steaks. To do this, place your hand flat on top of the chicken breast and use a knife to slice through the middle horizontally to make 2 thin steaks. Heat oil in a large fry-pan on medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper and fry in batches until cooked through, 2-3 minutes each side. Set aside to rest for a few minutes, then slice.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the remaining salad ingredients. Trim green beans and halve lengthways; trim asparagus ends and cut into 4cm pieces; cut capsicum into thin strips. Set capsicum aside. Place beans and asparagus into a small bowl, cover with boiling water, leave for 1-2 minutes, drain and refresh in cold water.
- Toss all quinoa salad ingredients with chicken and vinaigrette in a large bowl. TO SERVE, divide salad between plates