A well-balanced, nutritious lunchbox should be portioned such that it comprises half vegetables or salad; one quarter grain foods, preferably wholegrain or low GI carbohydrates, one quarter lean meat, poultry, fish, eggs, tofu, nuts, or seeds, as well as a side of fruit and a calcium rich snack.
Don’t forget to pack plenty of water too and always keep lunchboxes cool with an insulated bag and ice brick.
- Water bottle
- A piece of fruit
- A serve of yoghurt
- Air popped popcorn: Place popcorn kernels in a microwave safe container with a lid for about 2 mins or until most of the kernels have stopped popping. Place in a container with a tablespoon of pumpkin or sunflower seeds and a sprinkle of choc chips.
- Shredded Chicken Pasta Salad (see below)
Chicken Pasta Salad
- ¾ cup cooked wholemeal or high fibre pasta
- ½ cup baby spinach leaves
- 5 cherry tomatoes halved
- ¼ cup corn kernels
- ½ cup shredded cooked chicken breast
- ½ tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of dried herbs
Toss together pasta, chicken, spinach, corn and tomatoes. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with herbs.