I am a Mum of 4, aged 10, 13, 16 and 18. Love them to bits. A few years ago, I worked as a childcare assistant, for 4 years, until new rules came in from government, saying anyone that worked at child care centres had to have formal qualifications. I didn’t. Though I do have a Diploma in social welfare, I didn’t in child care. I found it really hard to find a job, but today, I have been looking into becoming a casual babysitter. Casual and flexible, as in, I will babysit children, maybe up to 3 at any same time, during school hours, in my home, for a break for Mums, or so they can attend appointments, do some shopping, or just for some ME time. I have posted on social media thoughts, and some have said, YES PLEASE, IT’S WHAT MUMS NEED while others have said I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL.
No, I do not have formal qualifications, but I don’t promise to educate your child, I promise to take care of your beautiful children, as I do my own. Play with them, read to them, etc until their Mum comes back. Could be an hour, could be 2, or 3, or 4.
BUT, now I need to look into rights and responsabilities before I decide to even start. What does a casual babysitter need? Do I pay tax? Do I need an ABN?
All so confusing, but I believe, all worthwhile in the end, and probably, helping MUMS who ache for free time, me time, in this world of ours, a MUMS world, that can often become crazy!!!
Good idea or not?

Posted by Sam, 15th September 2016

Post your story
  • Thankyou so much for your input. I have actually contacted all relevant places I need to speak to, and hopefully will be on my way to starting my new venture soon :)

    • Good luck with your new venture.

      • Yes, best wishes. Reckon there will always be demand for you!


  • You will probably find most parents will want to see a current first aid certificate, a police check and a working with children check (or other relevant check as each state is different). Some parents will be happy with you just having experience working with children but alot will probably want to see you have an actual qualification.
    I know some states have the cert 3 in childrens services as a free tafe course, maybe you could look into doing something like that?


Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating