So my nan was born in the 1940’s, she was raised by two people whom until she had kids believed that they were her parents, when my nan had her first baby she was read her last rights as she haemorrhaged and needed blood, both parents (apparent) where there but not one of them could give blood, nan was a hair away from death… She started asking questions etc etc, and remembers things from her childhood, now the government won’t give her her one original file every time she gets a birth certificate etc some thing else is missing. We just want to know who she is and her heritage and medical issues to be aware of. Just had to get this off of my chest any advice would be great

Posted anonymously, 31st March 2017

Post your story
  • I believe the Salvos and Red Cross are handy at finding things out about your ancestors


  • Is it possible your Nan was adopted? I suspect it is going to be difficult to trace the original file. Is your Nan able to give you written authority requesting the give you the reasons birth cetificate copies are different. If oyu can keep photocopies of them before you take them there. The Priest may have been one who regularly visits that particular hospital and not the church your Nan originally attended. That may also be why you can’t trace other documents. Would you Nan have been christened or baptised? Do you know your Nan’s date of birth, or is that something that has been changed too. Which state was she born in??? Has her Birth Certificate got the suburb or town she was born in, the name of the hospital??

    • hey this is very much true, and government is hiding sort of like the stolen generation, apparently at st vin cents in melbourne but on her birthday only 2 boys where born there….


  • You could also try the church.. you mention ‘last rites’ (the catholic church?) and sometimes baptism records are kept separate to the birth records of the government.

    • Have tried this church has NO records baptism communion reconciliation and or marriage. Thank you though


  • I’ve no idea what information you can get from the government, but you’d think records should be made available. Another possible avenue of investigation is to find extended family members who may hold some secrets and be able to enlighten. Or recruit the official services of a family history researcher. The Salvation Army also run a relative finding service and for a fee can help locate known living relatives, who are then invited to contact you if they want to, and who can perhaps help. It must be SO frustrating. Good luck and keep trying.


Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating