Hello!

15 Comments

Brisbane mum wants answers after her toddler received second-degree burns at childcare.


 

Dettol_Liquid_Hand_Wash_main_image_625x430

Are your family’s hands as clean as they could be? Read the DETTOL Liquid Hand Wash reviews here


Yet another incident at a childcare centre. Earlier in the week we reported of the baby left alone in his cot when staff finished for the day. Prior to that there was the death of a five month old at another Brisbane centre and a drowning at a Perth centre.

Today we hear of a case the Education Department could take action against at the Little Tots childcare centre in Calamvale following a police investigation into how little Leon, 15 mths, received second-degree burns after a sip from his drink cup.

Photographs show Sophia Zhang’s son Leon after he took a drink of water. It burnt his throat, lips, chin and chest.

Baby_ burns

Image via 7NEWS
His mum said she could hear him “crying and screaming” before she entered the room.

“They didn’t apply appropriate first aid and they didn’t call ambulance and they didn’t call mum,” said Ms Zhang.

Pointing to his little blue drinking cup she says: “They told me this lid was tightly on and there was warm water.

“I still don’t understand, how did he get access to hot water? How did he get burnt? I haven’t been told the truth.”

The Education Department is investigating whether the centre has breached regulations.

A spokesperson for the business said it was “an unfortunate situation” and “the centre is concerned for the child”.

Share your thoughts below.

Image: Stock photo

  • What is going on with our child care centres way too many children are getting hurt sometimes badly and even dying. We pay these so called qualified people a fortune to mind our children so we can earn a living and in some cases our children are at great risk. Half of these people are NOT qualified to look after our children they should update there first aid every year and be really Qualified in every way.. All that matters these days to get a job is to pass a police check it’s as simple as that…

    Reply

  • The Perth and Brisbane incidents occurred at Family Day care homes, not childcare centres.
    While this incident is shocking and should not have occurred, 1.8 million Australian children attend childcare
    http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/4402.0 so statistically the incidence of such things occurring is very low, perhaps the writer could take some perspective and just report facts rather than starting articles with ‘yet another incident at a childcare centre”… what is the point of that sentence other than to scare parents?
    Children also get injured at home, in the care of their parents.

    Reply

  • Wow a follow up on the outcome of this would be great. No way a child should be able to reach any sort of hot water.

    Reply

  • Australia really needs to tighten its regulations on daycare centres, everyone should be fully trained in basic first aid and adhere to strict checks before being granted employment. Sounds like this centre is being run by fools.

    Reply

  • Why would a child be given even warm water to drink let alone boiling water. This is a criminal offence and being that this is the third incident in this centre. The centre should be closed immediately and a full investigation should follow. If my child was at this centre I would be taking out immediately and not putting his little life at risk. I feel sorry for the little one. I am afraid I do not believe in child care centres unless it is a necessity, I had a baby to look after him and her myself not to be given to someone else. The parent is missing the best years of that child’s life.

    Reply

  • Oh my! Little one!! How could have happened? I would be so mad if I was the mother of that toddler!

    Reply

  • Scarey stuff. What is going on in these centres

    Reply

  • Oh poor little man, can only imagine mums heart sinking as she arrived to pick him up only to be greated by his screams of pain.Thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery with minimal on going effects, pyhsical or mental.

    Reply

  • That is unreal. Must have been filled with straight hot water.

    Reply

  • Poor little man. Children should not be allowed anywhere near hot water people put there trust in these carers and think there children are safe..

    Reply

  • Makes you wonder what happens to your child when not in your care!

    Reply

  • Some staff don\’t seem to have the competencies and knowledge on what to do in many different situations including this, or perhaps just simply ignorant or negligent with the excuse of being \’too busy\’. Staff could probably have done a mistake by putting in the hot water. Staff and centre should take responsibilities and be held accountable. All staff and centres should be audited every year or twice a year. Should have contacted parent(s) at least.

    Reply

  • I was shocked when I read about this. The Childcare centre really needs to take responsibility for the failure to protect this child.They need to be accountable and definetly need to be retrained. To not even administer appropriate first aid, call ambulance or the parent is absolutely unbelievable.

    Reply

  • I would be so upset and be seeking answers too if that had ever happened to mine! Staff need to take proper care – this should simply not happen.

    Reply

  • Lke it

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join