Hello!

16 Comments

A four-year-old boy was admitted to hospital yesterday after having his hand stuck inside a vending machine for more than six hours.

Emergency crews were called around lunchtime to the Lonsdale Street address in Melbourne’s CBD.  Upon arrival, they found the young boy with his hand stuck in the anti-theft flaps of the machine.

The emergency crews had to work for more than six hours to free the boy, as the machine was required to be dismantled piece-by-piece.

The small boy was in considerable distress throughout this time and emergency services creatively used cartoons on their smartphones to help calm him.  At one stage the boy required sedation.

He was taken to the Royal Children’s Hospital in a stable condition.

Sergeant Ali Gurdag told the ABC it was an unusual operation.

“First type of job I’ve had to respond to in that situation,” he said.  “To see that young, little kid in the discomfort he was in, and observing the fire brigade and how patient they were, it was just an exceptional performance.”

 

Image source: Shutterstock

  • Oh no, hope he learnt something from this. How lucky he was to have such patient emergency services to look after him. Hope his hand is alright now though – 6 hours is an awfully long time.

    Reply

  • So glad he was finally freed.

    Reply

  • oh poor kid! hopefully he won’t do that again! don’t laugh…i saw there is this kid in america and he climbs INTO the claw machines and gets stuck! he has done this a few times now and i feel bad for the mum!

    Reply

  • Saw this on the news – he now wants to be a firefighter when he grows up. Poor little mite

    Reply

  • Such a scary experience for this little chap – he will probably have an aversion to the machines now!
    :(

    Reply

  • I assume he was just being curious… Very upsetting.

    Reply

  • I don’t like those vending/toy machines. They’re an accident waiting to happen for little kids. This poor little boy must have been so frightened. Good work to the emergency services!

    Reply

  • Oh my! Little child! It must have been so terrifying for him! And being stuck there for so many hours!! :-(

    Reply

  • Is it wrong that every time I read about a kid in a vending machine, all I can think is that at least it wasn’t mine?

    Reply

  • Its incredible the scrapes kids get themselves into. Poor boy. Thanks to the Emergency Services for a fantastic job as normal.

    Reply

  • Well done to the emergency services. How scary for the little boy and scary/frustrating for his parents.

    Reply

  • Well done to the emergency services involved, The poor kid must have been quite scared!

    Reply

  • Temptation and curiosity – such a bad luck story. Emergency services are wonderful – they show true compassion and care.

    Reply

  • Poor little possum, a bet he will be super careful where he puts his hand, around machines again. Super job to the rescue staff.

    Reply

  • Poor boy. The stress must have been awful for him.

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join