Hello!

9 Comments

SAFETY experts are warning parents of the dangers of nappy sacks after the death of 16 babies.

The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents in the UK have met with manufacturers and retailers to demand new packaging and hazard labels on nappy sacks. They want the sacks to be sold on perforated rolls, rather than as single sheets to make them harder for babies to grab.

RoSPA also want them to be non-scented so tots do not mistake them for food and for warning labels to advise parents on safe storage, reports THE SUN.

The charity’s Sheila Merrill said: “We want to maximise public awareness of this serious risk to young lives, and develop a code of practice for the manufacture and labelling of nappy sacks.

Tried This? RATE IT Now…

Image of Nando’s Hot PERi-PERi Sauce 250g
Nando’s Hot PERi-PERi Sauce 250g

Submitting your rating…

“Where these deaths have occurred, typically the sacks have been stored within the baby’s reach, close to the baby’s cot, including under the mattress, usually for convenience.

“The parents clearly have not made any association between the nappy sacks and any sort of risk from suffocation or choking.

“We can change this with adequate education and awareness, but we also want manufacturers to consider safety approaches such as making them unscented, producing them on a roll rather than as individual sheets, or new packaging.”

Nappy sacks have been implicated in causing suffocation and choking of 16 babies aged less than one year old.

nappy sack 1 nappysack

The death of a baby due to asphyxia from a nappy sack was brought to the attention of Beth Beynon, a child accident prevention co-ordinator, in September 2010.

This highlighted that asphyxia from nappy sacks had caused up to ten known deaths in babies across England and Wales alone.

Beth Amison, a mum-of-two, from Staffordshire, is supporting RoSPA’s nappy sack campaign following the death of her seven-month-old son Maison in 2013.

The 23-year-old said: “I don’t want other parents to suffer the same devastating tragedy that my family went through.

“My world fell apart because of a nappy sack.

“It was on March 7th that I went into Maison’s bedroom to wake him up – only it wasn’t his beautiful smile I was greeted with.

“Instead Maison was lying in his cot with a handful of nappy sacks scattered around him and one was covering his face.

“Our changing stand had been placed next to the cot, as many people’s are, and in the pockets of the stand, I had placed nappy sacks months and months before.

“The cot was on the highest setting because Maison had never crawled.

“He could sit, but only if you placed him that way.

“However, that day he must have learned to stand for the first time as that’s the only way he could have reached the changing stand.

“Since Maison died, I share the dangers of nappy sacks to other parents through my Facebook page called Maison’s Memory.

“It’s important for anyone looking after babies to be aware of the risks nappy sacks pose and what they can do to prevent more unnecessary deaths.

“Never think it won’t happen to me.”

Advice for parents – Safe storage

RoSPA warns: “The typical scenario associated with the deaths is that the sacks are stored within the baby’s reach, close to the baby’s cot – including under the mattress usually for convenience.

“In some of the cases, the nappy sacks had been left near to or in the cot for ease of changing the baby’s nappy in the night.

“The light flimsy plastic material of the bag is easy for a baby to grasp automatically, and then instinctively bring to their mouths for exploration, which can lead to obstruction of the nose and mouth, and even inhalation.

“Informal feedback from parents and carers and professionals demonstrated that the risk to young babies is compounded by the fact that widespread usage of nappy sacks is a relatively recent phenomenon.

“Parents and carers are generally aware of the dangers posed by plastic bags, but do not make the same link to nappy sacks and so are less likely to take the same safety precautions.

“The risk of this potential hazard is increased by the lack of mandatory suffocation warning advice on the packaging, and the product’s frequent availability as loose bags in a packet, as opposed to supplied on a roll.”

A recent survey by Trading Standards identified a number of nappy sacks that were not adequately labelled with warnings.

Claire Taylor, from Buckinghamshire and Surrey Trading Standards, said: “There is a serious suffocation risk from these widely-used products and our research found this is not always made clear in the packaging they come in.

“We want it to be mandatory for nappy sacks to carry proper warnings but there are other things which would also help such as selling them perforated in rolls to make it harder for babies to grab them.”

Share your comments below.

Original story and Image via The Sun

  • maybe just stick to the nappy disposal bins that contain these inside and the baby would have a harder time getting into them. such a sad story

    Reply

  • So sad that all these babies have died.

    Reply

  • Thanks for those informations

    Reply

  • It is so terribly sad and any measure or step taken to combat this is a good thing. A perforated roll is a good idea.

    Reply

  • Seriously?! Parents need to be warned about the dangers of plastic bags to small children?!?! Really?!?!?! How about parents store them right out of babies reach????

    Reply

  • Great idea to have them on perforated rolls, more safe and practical.

    Reply

  • Thanks for the article and the warning.

    Reply

  • My shopping bags are in a special container I was given high up out of little fingers’ reach. They are a lot easier to put in the container than to get out.
    Some people have a special nappy bin the nappy goes in though a space in the top with a proper lid to open to put them in. I find it very hard to open.

    Reply

  • This is an alarming number of deaths! I agree being on a roll would be much safer. I had moved mine into an empty nappy wipes tub so they were harder to get hold of. Another habit I have is tying my plastic shopping bags into a loose knot before they go into the cupboard to make it harder for youngsters to pull over their heads.

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join