Hello!

12 Comments

Firefighters are putting out an urgent reminder for people not to leave their laptops continuously charging after a family’s home was destroyed in Melbourne.

A fire was sparked inside the Doncaster home on Sunday when the lithium battery inside the laptop overheated after remained plugged into the power source.

A young couple, their 10-month-old baby and the couple’s elderly parents were not at home at the time of the fire.  The single storey brick house was destroyed in the blaze as more than 20 firefighters fought to try and contain the flames.

Fire investigators found the laptop had been left on continuous charge while it was plugged into a television for use as an external hard drive.

The Melbourne Fire Brigade say the blaze is a reminder to remove laptops, tablets and other devices from power sources once they are fully charged, or if no one is in attendance to supervise the charging progress.

Image source: Shutterstock

  • Its good to get into a habit of unplugging everything you can. Saves money too!

    Reply

  • I am very aware of this and turn mine off at the power when leaving home.

    Reply

  • Something i have never thought about thank you for the reminder

    Reply

  • OMG, our laptops are always on charge.

    Reply

  • Golly! How terrifying! Thank goodness nobody was home at the time! :O Definitely a reminder to be ever vigilant! Thanks for sharing!

    Reply

  • how terrible. I hope that this is a one off.

    Reply

  • How scary! If I ever get a laptop I won’t be leaving it plugged in if I’m not using it.

    Reply

  • Scary!

    Reply

  • Lke hs

    Reply

  • I agree. Never leave anything on if it’s not being used. Waste of energy and a danger.

    Reply

  • A good warning – never ever leave anything on to charge overnight or for long periods.

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join