I love running and I can’t wait to get back into it.
I am on a return to running program to get back into running after having a baby. There are SO many great reasons to run.
If you can’t run though, don’t worry, power walking has many of the same benefits!
So here is why I love running:
- Healthy Mind – running (or exercising in general) gets your heart pumping – this can help to reduce stress and also release those happy hormones – ENDORPHINS! Woohoo, Bring them on!
- Sleep Easier – going for a run in the mornings (or any exercise really), helps to set your body clock, so that you are wide awake during the day and ready to sleep at night, often getting a better nights sleep.
- Healthy Heart – as you get fitter, your heart will get stronger – this results in your cardiovascular fitness increasing which can bring your blood pressure down! Win Win!
- Strong Immune System – when you are doing regular cardio fitness be it running or walking, swimming or riding, you are stimulating the production of cells in your blood, which help to fight off the nasty cold and flu bugs – bacteria and viruses), which will help build a stronger immune system.
- Breathe Easier – as I mentioned, running helps make the heart stronger, but it also helps strengthen your lungs, which can only help you breathe easier. Running to music, or running with a friend you can chat with, can help you to relax your breathing and get into a comfortable rhythm.
- Weight loss – When you combine cardio exercise (the more intense the better), eating the right foods, and doing regular strength & conditioning training you’ll lose weight, it’s that simple! Burpees are also great for this too!
- Keeps you young – Runners age better, right?!
- Stronger Bones – When you do weight bearing exercise like running or power walking, you put your bones under stress. In response to this your body increases your bone mineral density to make your bones stronger – this is great for reducing the risks of developing osteoporosis.
- Toned legs – Yes, running helps you get stronger, toned legs (squats and lunges also help, so don’t forget about them) – Win Win!
- Better sex – running improves stamina and endurance, that’s all I will say!