No matter how hard I try, I always end up with wasted food that gets thrown out. I have been researching ways to reduce this and this week I looked into what food I could freeze to store to reduce waste.
Here are 10 things I never knew I could freeze:
1) Eggs: Freeze your eggs in ice cube trays ready to use in your cooking. 2) Herbs: Freeze your herbs in ice cube trays with some water when you have leftovers and they will be ready to use the next time you make the recipe.
3) Milk: Freeze your milk that’s about to expire in ice cube trays or in the plastic bottle.
4) Ginger: Instead of letting your ginger go wrinkly in the fridge, peel it and slice it up ready to use in juices or cooking.
5) Nuts: I often have leftover nuts from a recipe that end up going stale in the cupboard, freeze them ready to use next time.
6) Cheese: Stock up on your favourite cheese blocks when they are on sale and freeze.
7) Root vegetables: Freeze your excess root vegetables by peeling, cutting up, blanching and freezing in portions ready to use.
8) Cookie dough: Make a double batch of dough and freeze half to save time baking next time.
9) Avocado: Stock up on avocados in Summer and freeze them to eat in winter.
10) Wine: Freeze wine in ice cube trays to use in cooking.
What do you freeze? Please add comment below.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock.com