We’ve all heard the rumour that our homes can be toxic but it’s confusing to know where to start. The enormity of the task can be pretty darn overwhelming can’t it?
So rather than bombard you with lots of big and urgent jobs, that you needed to have done yesterday, I have 3 little suggestions to get you on the road to a safer home today.
I’m a big believer in small steps combining to make a big difference, so I’d love you to start with these three:
1) Stop using plastic wrap to cover your food in the microwave.
This is because toxic chemicals leach out of the plastic wrap as it heats up collecting in the condensation on the under surface. This then drips down into your food to be eaten by you and your family. Instead you can cover your meals with a paper towel or even an upturned ceramic bowl or plate.
2) Take off all shoes at the front door.
This is to stop all the nasties that collect in road dust, such as burnt off fuel, car fume residue and bitumen, from being trodden throughout your home. And, worse still, picked up by little ones who love to crawl and play on the floor.
3) Wash all new clothes before wearing them.
Most garments are covered with toxic dyes, bleach, special treatments and even formaldehyde to stop them gathering mould during transportation and storage. These easily wear off with use, transferring to the skin to be absorbed into the body. Ideally wash and dry new items at least twice before wearing them, three times if they are made from synthetic material. Adding a spoonful of baking soda to the wash helps the process.
There you go, hopefully no brain overload just yet! Stay tuned for my next 3 suggestions coming your way soon.
Do you have a simple way to remove the nasty chemicals at your place? Please share in the comments below.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock.com