Writing for a living can seem like a fantastic way to make a living, but many people simply don’t make enough to keep themselves afloat. The mistake many aspiring writers make is believing that having good writing skills is enough. To be a successful content writer, you need a whole quiver of marketable skills.
Here are 6 hacks that you help you become a master content writer in no time.
1. Stay on point
When writing, keep to one point per post. Readers won’t want to keep reading if it feels as if you’re jumping from point to point within the same piece of writing. Before you start writing, decide what the one topic of your piece will be, and explore it to the best of your ability.
2. Your first sentence should be your best
You need to lure the reader in, and convince them that they want to continue reading. Craft your first sentence carefully, so you can reel them in straight away. Try asking them a thought-provoking question, or putting an unusual thesis to them.
3. Try using different writing styles
As a content writer, you’re going to need to master many different styles of writing. A blog post is different to a white paper, which is different to ad copy. Practice using all these different styles, and work out where your strengths lay. Then, you can market yourself to people looking for these writers.
4. Use editing and proofreading services
If you’re trying to keep up a good flow of marketable pieces, you may not have time to proofread or edit your work. Luckily, services such as the following can help:
- Boom Essays: The qualified writers at Boom Essay writing service can take in your work and proofread it thoroughly, making any edits needed. They’ll hand you back a perfectly polished piece that you can publish straight away.
- Slick Write: This tool is great for instantly showing you any issues with your text. Simply paste it in, and any issues will be underlined. Mouse over the text to find out what the issue is, and how to fix it.
- EssayRoo: This Australian writing service can help you put together fantastic blog posts when you need help filling gaps in your schedule, or want a different angle on a topic. Simply give the writers the themes you want to work with, and they’ll create a great post for you.
- Proofread Bot: This tool can be included in almost any text editor that you care to use, including Google Drive, Microsoft Office and WordPress. It’s useful if you want to keep all your editing to one app.
5. Be original
Whatever you’re going to write about, be sure that you have something new to say on the topic. There may well be hundreds of other people out there talking about the same themes as you, but you’ll be the only person with your unique take on it.
6. Take advantage of social media
You may be the best writer out there, but no one will know if you don’t tell anyone about it. Social media is a great way to share your work, gain fans, and reach out towards potential employers. Join up with your preferred social media sites, and start building yourself a professional profile. Before long, your work will be shared all over the web.
Writing is a skill that you’ll spend a lifetime perfecting, but these tips will help you get a head start on the process. Get started now, and soon you’ll be making a living creating engaging content that people will want to read.
Have you tried writing a piece? Share your ideas below!
Image source Shutterstock.