Parenting is a tough gig, there is no denying it. From the second you fall pregnant it’s no longer about you and your partner, it’s about the baby.
“Am I eating the right thing?”, “I don’t want to overdo it with exercise”, and then the questions from everyone around you. I like to call this phase the pregnancy marathon. After you run it you are expected to back it up with another marathon, labour. Then, when you hit the finish line they hand you a baby and it’s a whole new game. Nothing will ever be the same again.
You know what I am talking about. The part where the tiredness takes over, you don’t know what time it is, let alone what day it is, you can’t remember the last time you ate anything and oh god, how long has that spit up been on my pants?
I loved having little babies, but thinking about the above makes me wonder where the time has gone (mostly in a tired haze I think) and I know in a few years I will again think back and wonder where my little kidlets went.
Before that time hits I wanted to write down the things that I love so much it hurts. Here are 9 things I’m going to miss when my kids are older.
- They come running and calling out muuummmmyyy?!?! Whenever I leave the room for more than 2 seconds. Sometimes it’s frustrating but sometimes, it’s super cute to know that they want to know where I am at all times.
- The random and beautiful “I love you as big as that cloud/the Galaxy/this house/that big dog we saw the other day” moments that my four year old surprises me with regularly. These moments always feel like my heart is going to burst.
- The proud look on my 2 year olds face when she has just used the potty like a big girl.
- Morning cuddles. They’re always so soft and snuggly when they wake up and it’s completely irresistible!
- When my 2 year old rubs my back haphazardly whilst cuddling me, she really is the sweetest little thing.
- The excitement and magic that surrounds a four year old. There are always conversations about Fairies, princesses and mermaids at our place, and yes before you think it (oh wait, you probably already have), she is the girliest girl I know which is funny considering I don’t think I’m a girly girl in the slightest, that most definitely comes from both grandmas!
- Nudie runs. Every. Single. Night. Around the whole house squealing with laughter and ending in a fit of giggles. It’s only going to be cute for so long.
- Hilariousness from their ridiculous conversations with each other about everyday life that either ends up in a fight or full belly laughter. I prefer the latter.
- When they sleep. Now I know that they’ll always sleep, but there is something special about tiny little people all tucked up in bed. No matter what has gone on in the day, no matter how cranky I’ve been or how naughty they’ve been, there is nothing better than watching your little cherubs sleeping soundly.
Sigh, just writing this has made me feel all nostalgic and I’m actually living it now. I know I’ll love the next chapter as well but time flies and this time with the little ones is simply amazing!
SHARE your thoughts with us in the comments below.