Hello!

6 Comments

A trip to hospital after a fall nearly cost baby Declan Campbell his life.

Declan fell from his cot one lunch time in February and received a lump on the head. So big was the lump and so worried was his mother, Jessica Newsome, that she took him to Nepean Hospital’s emergency department, in Sydney’s west, reports 9 news.

He was seen immediately by staff who advised a CT scan was needed. But Declan’s age also meant he needed to be sedated.

A doctor injected him using the wrong syringe, making Declan’s lips turn blue and he struggled to breathe.

Tried This? RATE IT Now…

Image of Love To Dream Sleep Suit
Love To Dream Sleep Suit

Submitting your rating…

“His body just froze,” Ms Newsome said.

“He was just limp. He was just nothing. He went straight pale. I said to the doctor ‘something’s wrong’. He just picked the kid up and ran.”

Declan stopped breathing for 90 seconds, and Ms Newsome watched as they carried her little boy and placed him on a metal tray.

What went wrong is marked on the child’s discharge papers: “In emergency, ED doctor accidentally administered 12mg of intravenous Suxamethonium instead of administering 12mg of Ketamine to child.”

The hospital apologised to the couple at the time and said they would launch a full investigation into how the mistake occurred.

“While the baby was in the emergency department, the treating doctor apologised for the mistake and provided full disclosure, explaining to the parents what had happened and a social worker provided support to the parents,” Nepean Hospital’s director of medical services, Dr Peter Thomas, told 9NEWS.

Share your comments below

  • My biggest fear is a medical mishap like this.

    Reply

  • You just don’t expect your situation to worsen after you get treatment in hospital. Poor boy

    Reply

  • That must have been so very scary ! That’s quite a fail, but good the hospital admitted it and apologized.

    Reply

  • Hope the boy pulls through with no long term issues.
    As for the Dr, I would be glad he acted quickly and fessed up to his mistake. Accidents can happen and do happen to everyone, but he acted quickly to fix it and then admitted his mistake, knowing there would be serious consequences.

    Reply

  • Glad the hospital fessed up, but what a nightmare for the parents! Did the boy recover? There is no word of it in the article though it is implied.

    Reply

  • Terrible. But will this have any consequence in the future?

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating