A one-month-old baby has tragically died after his grandfather gave him alcohol at a family gathering without his mother’s knowledge.

A one-month-old baby has died in Beijing after being given alcohol by his grandfather during a blessing and celebration of his birth YahooNews reports.

During a toast, a relative allegedly told the baby’s grandfather that he could not take a sip before the baby did, prompting him to give the newborn a sip of alcohol.

Nothing Could Be Done

By the time the baby’s mother realised what had happened, her son was already struggling to breathe and was rushed to hospital where he died a short time later of suspected alcohol poisoning.

Babies are at an increased risk of fatal complications affecting the central nervous system associated with the consumption of alcohol, resulting in difficulty breathing and dangerously low blood pressure.

Unfortunately, this is not an isolated case. In 2016, a 15-month-old girl in Romania narrowly escaped death after relatives fed her alcohol-soaked snacks, leaving her in a critical condition.

The mother of the newborn baby reportedly slapped her father-in-law multiple times and was understandably distressed when she realised what had happened.

A Tragic Reminder

The incident is a tragic reminder that a split-second decision can have devastating consequences, especially in the case of infants and young children.

We can’t even begin to imagine this mother’s grief or the overwhelming guilt that this grandfather will have to carry with him for the rest of his life.

Do you trust your relatives to look after your newborn baby? Let us know in the comments.

You May Also Be Interested In:

Do You Know What A Febrile Convulsion Looks Like?
Mum Shares Important Advice After She Nearly Starved Her Baby To Death
What Parents And Pregnant Women Need To Know About Sports Drinks

  • What an awful thing to happen! This is very upsetting and if anyone comes near my child with alcohol, I will politely (or not) tell them to rack off!

    Reply

  • This is tragic. It’s so hard to trust anyone with your baby but you would think if you were there they would be safe. Poor family I hope anyone who thinks giving babies or children alcohol reads this article.

    Reply

  • This is just incredibly sad. My little one is 15 months old and I have never left her with any of our family. When she was 4 months old I had an argument with my partners nana who thought I was being ridiculous for not letting her give my daughter malteasers. My dad also left out some toilet cleaner a few months back and my daughter started to eat it. I honestly don’t trust anyone outside of myself and my partner to look after her!

    Reply

  • WTF! How on earth can this happen EVER? That poor mother. How do you get over something like that?

    Reply

  • What the hell? Truly demented. Hope he rots in jail.

    Reply

  • How could he be so stupid the poor parents how do you move on from this

    Reply

  • Tragic and such stupidity, what were they thinking?

    Reply

  • why the heck would you be wanting to give a baby alcohol??

    Reply

  • Hopefully this will stop other grandparents doing such a silly thing in the future.

    Reply

  • This is so incredibly tragic and irresponsible on the part of those to blame – just awful.

    Reply

  • Oh dear. Such stupid actions lacking thoughts of consequences, yield heartbreak and grief. I pray the dear mother will somehow be able to be comforted in this tragic time of harm to her baby son. The loss she has suffered is horrific. Be at peace dear little one and also Mumma, may you find comfort and support in your time of loss.

    Reply

  • Such a heartbreaking tragedy. I cannot believe the stupidity of this grand parent. I can only imagine the emotional turmoil the family is going through. Heart goes out to them.

    Reply

  • My thought’s are with this family. I hope this creates awareness and alerts all people of the dangers surrounding babies and any form of drug substance.

    Reply

  • I feel sorry for all of them. Such an unnecessary tragedy.

    Reply

  • No, I was so careful as a first time mum and I don’t regret a second if protecting my baby. I had a grandparent repeatedly try kiss my newborn son on the lips!

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?

No picture uploaded yet
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.

Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join