A one-month-old baby has tragically died after his grandfather gave him alcohol at a family gathering without his mother’s knowledge.
A one-month-old baby has died in Beijing after being given alcohol by his grandfather during a blessing and celebration of his birth YahooNews reports.
During a toast, a relative allegedly told the baby’s grandfather that he could not take a sip before the baby did, prompting him to give the newborn a sip of alcohol.
Nothing Could Be Done
By the time the baby’s mother realised what had happened, her son was already struggling to breathe and was rushed to hospital where he died a short time later of suspected alcohol poisoning.
Submitting your rating…
Babies are at an increased risk of fatal complications affecting the central nervous system associated with the consumption of alcohol, resulting in difficulty breathing and dangerously low blood pressure.
Unfortunately, this is not an isolated case. In 2016, a 15-month-old girl in Romania narrowly escaped death after relatives fed her alcohol-soaked snacks, leaving her in a critical condition.
The mother of the newborn baby reportedly slapped her father-in-law multiple times and was understandably distressed when she realised what had happened.
A Tragic Reminder
The incident is a tragic reminder that a split-second decision can have devastating consequences, especially in the case of infants and young children.
We can’t even begin to imagine this mother’s grief or the overwhelming guilt that this grandfather will have to carry with him for the rest of his life.
Do you trust your relatives to look after your newborn baby? Let us know in the comments.