A baby in the US suffered lead poisoning from a “magnetic healing bracelet” that her parents picked up at a local fair.

A report from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention says the parents placed the bracelet on the 9-month-old baby girl’s wrist to help relieve the discomfort of teething.

The parents reported that the child intermittently wore a handmade “homeopathic magnetic hematite healing bracelet” that they had purchased from an artisan at a local fair.

The child wore the bracelet for teething related discomfort and was sometimes noted to chew on it.

Small spacer beads from the bracelet tested at the Manchester Health Department were positive for lead (17,000 ppm). No identifying marks indicating metal content or manufacturer were found on the bead. The vendor records were not available, and the bracelet maker could not be located.

bracelet with lead

Doctor’s should be aware of the potential for lead poisoning in children who have ingested or mouthed any metal objects, especially jewelry.

Parents also need to be made aware of the risks for lead poisoning resulting from children wearing or handling handmade or adult metal jewellery,  because infants have natural mouthing behaviors; these items can also pose a choking hazard for small children.

Read more: WARNING to parents RECALL homeopathic teething tablets and gels

Share your comments below.

Shutterstock photo

  • hope this little baby is okay


  • I think this is about parents being responsible. Don’t bnuy strange things from others and let your kid suck on it. Common sense really.


  • Oh dear, this is a worry.


  • I would never buy this for teething in the first place in case of breakage and ingestion of all the small pieces on it. Hope the little one will be all right but it may be many years before the final verdict is in.


  • I’d never buy anything for my boys if I thought they’d put it in their mouths. Maybe I was a bit overprotective but reading this I’m glad about this I’m glad I was. Very scary thought. I hope the little girl suffers no lasting problems with this.


  • I remember young kids always sucking on car keys and key rings because mums would give them the keys to shake like a rattle!

    i hope this little one will be ok with no permanent damage!

    A good warning to be mindful of with all the new gadgets etc for helping kids who are teething


  • She shouldn’t have been allowed near it in the first place because of the choking hazard alone. I hope she will be ok.


  • Oh wow, I would never have considered this a problem. Kids often love to put keys, mum’s jewellery etc. in their mouth. Something we should definitely be aware of.


  • No small pieces here either, even not for my 3 year old. Besides that I would certainly not use anything to do with magnetic healing on my children.


  • I wouldn’t use it because I would have been concerned my baby could choke on it if it broke, too many tiny pieces. That’s terrible.


  • Yes, I agree with the previous two comments. Very small pieces. And it’s so scary what happened!


  • I wouldn’t give my kid anything to put in their mouth that has pieces that small.


  • The parts in this bracelet also look like they may be a choking hazard.


Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like


Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating