Hello!

72 Comments

In response to a series of accidents where children have died as a result of strangulation from blind or curtain cords, First Aid educational company, First Aid For You offers some advice should parents find themselves confronted with such a situation. Read the choking hazards and First Aid advice here…

Mary Dawes, Director of First Aid For You (www.firstaidforyou.com.au) says, “While there’s no doubt seeing a child choking is a traumatic experience, basic first aid knowledge has the potential to turn the situation around.”

Mary suggests the following steps should your child choke or in the event of strangulation or near choking;

  • Remove danger or item from around child
  • Check for signs of breathing (blue coloring on face or lips is a quick indication that there is lack of oxygen)
  • Start CPR if child is not breathing and call 000 IMMEDIATELY

Supervision and securing items is the key believes Mary:

It only takes a second for a child to find a small item and place it in their mouth or for kids to create a game where a cord may be involved, and the consequences are dire.

“Do a sight-sweep of the house, look at any cords that may be handing loose, even low hanging mobile phone charger cords and secure these up high and out of sight from little ones”

Mary adds.

These tips and advice are no substitute for first aid knowledge, Mary urges.

“A first aid course – especially one dedicated to children’s first aid will equip you with the skills needed in such an emergency and you’ll be grateful you spent the time learning the vital skills.”

For specialised tips, more information regarding courses from First Aid For You or headshots of Director Mary Dawes please contact Brooke at Pursuit Communications 0407 780 710, brooke@pursuitcommunications.com.au
  • There are so many steps we can take to avoid choking hazards, but we can’t 100% stop them all. So first aid training is a must for everyone

    Reply

  • I would never have thought it but Marshmellows are one of the most common chocking items because it gets stuck (cause it is sticky)

    Reply

  • In my mum’s house she has all the cord from the bottom of the blinds removed and the other cords up high and I have done the same with my blind cords and i’ll be sure to remember about mobile or other cords as well and keep them up in cupboards.

    Reply

  • Lots of benefits from completing a first aid course. I have safety packs to put around my house before our bub is born. Lots of common sense.

    Reply

  • Think every parent would benefit from a first aid course

    Reply

  • A useful and important topic

    Reply

  • An important topic thanks for sharing

    Reply

  • The design of cots, play pens and high chairs needs to be based on safety too. Toddlers who are climbers can become caught and unable to breathe.

    Reply

  • I think everyone who works with or is ever in charge of a child should learn basic children’s first aid.

    Reply

  • I think one of the best things I did was to learn CPR, have never had to use it, but I am glad know how to do it properly

    Reply

  • A children’s first aid course should be mandatory for all new mums to be, maybe as part of the antenatal classes.

    Reply

  • interesting read thanks for sharing :)

    Reply

  • Good read thanks for the information

    Reply

  • This is a very good article, passing it on!

    Reply

  • I never ever thought about a mobile phone charging cord

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join