A great guide to help you plan the perfect Christmas wardrobe!
This is the time of year where we are extremely busy with children, family connecting with colleagues and attending festive activities throughout the city. But do we need to have a different outfit for every event? Not really. Think wisely and plan ahead and you will not break the budget.
Guidelines for dressing for the festive season:
- Outline the festive season. Before you shop, make a list of all the activities you will be attending, including any specific parties you’ll be attending. Planning ahead will help you shop wisely as well as build a functional and festive wardrobe.
- What is your neutral? Black, gray, navy, chocolate, beige and white are good holiday neutrals that mix and match well with a variety of brighter summer colours and prints. Men wear the neutrals as either the trousers or shirt and then wear print on the other.
- Bottoms Up. Focus on bottoms first – trousers, skirts and jeans. Once you are happy with these selections, add a minimum of three tops that are appropriate for the types of holiday events you will be attending. Ladies if you prefer wearing a dress during the holidays, a versatile summer dress in your best colour could be all you need as it is easy to dress up and down with various shoes, sandals and accessories. Men if you want to go semi-casual then team a pair of casual trousers with a great sports jacket.
- Add a signature colour. Pick your colour for the festive season. Whether it is your best colour, a traditional Christmas colour or a trendy colour in season use wear it with your neutrals to look stylish and fun.
- Know Your Fabrics. For extra ease and comfort during the holidays, opt for low maintenance fabrics so you can grab, go and pack if travel is in your plans. Consult a reputable dry cleaner to help you get years of wear out of your finer holiday fabrics.
- Attention Attention Attention. Pay attention to buttons, zippers, stitching and other details on clothes and accessories as you assemble your outfits. Typically, it takes a minimum of three similar metals, colors or other details to pull a look together. Keep this in mind when selecting jewellery. Men go simple on the jewellery – a statement watch is all you need.
- Consider your underwear. Summer means that the fabrics are thinner, lighter in colour and shear and see through. Ladies choose your undergarments such as bras and underwear wisely. You want you outfit to make a statement not your lingerie.