Motion indicates activity. Clutter and disorder signifies stagnation. Where there is movement there is energy. In order to move forward in your life, it’s most beneficial to eliminate the clutter that’s holding you back.
This week’s challenge is: to make a start and spend 10 minutes a day to clear the clutter and organise an area in your home that would create the most positive impact if it was in order – an area in your home that’s a priority on your list! If you’ve been stuck on ‘how to’ in the past, begin by using the following simple solution:
* Be prepared before you start by having the following ready:
* Timer (set for 10 mins)
* Rubbish bin/bag
* Give away box
* Basket for things which belong in other rooms
* Use the following guidelines for effective clearing:
* Go through one small section at a time only handling each item once.
* Do not stray from this area until you’ve finished clearing where you started.
* Be focused and disciplined, beware the timer is on so you don’t get caught up in indecision, however, if it takes10 minutes to make a decision on one thing, so be it, there’s a lesson in itself – but make sure you still stop after 10 minutes until the next day.
* Be really practical when you sort through your stuff, get ruthless!
* Decide what to throw/give away. For each item you pick up, ask yourself:
– Have I used this in the last year (if you don’t use it, lose it)?
– Do I absolutely LOVE this item?
– Have I really got space for this item (especially if lack of room is an issue)?
– Am I just keeping this because I’d feel guilty if I threw it out (let it go!)?
– What’s the worst thing that can happen if I get rid of it (can I live with the consequences)
* Work out what your main excuses are for hanging on to clutter, how do you justify holding on to your stuff? Is that mentality serving you? Use this awareness to overcome your obstacles.
* By doing 10 minutes daily you can make it a habit and keep working through your list!
If you’ve chosen paper piles as your priority area, check out the Filing for Action eBook. This includes templates to set up your own ‘Action Folder’, which is a temporary housing area to place your paper items, and, a system to take action on them in an efficient way.
Until next week, Be True, Be You, Be Happy!