I have a love hate relationship with my day care centre.
What I do not like (in the end hate is a strong word):
- Is the high attrition rate of staff, it seems my children finally bond with a carer and they leave.
- Is the sickness, especially during winter, which means time off work for me either caring for the children or sick myself (some of the bugs they get are nasty, and I have been hit hard).
- Is the poor communication we receive or should I say do not receive from the centre.
- Is the black hole where clothes seem to mysteriously disappear into, never to be seen again.
What I do love:
- Is that my children have the ability to socialise with other children their own age.
- Is that they can learn to be independent, learn to do things without mummy and daddy there.
- Is the group sessions where the children get to sing and dance, as both Miss Z and Master M, love music!
- Is the fact it gives me the ability return to work part time, knowing that the children are with people who care about them and for them, who they trust.
- Is that my children are learning all the time, from numbers, letters, colours, songs, dances, the list goes on
- Is that they are given the chance to try different foods each day, some things I would not have time to make for them.
From my list I guess the good things outweigh the bad.
I am surprised every single day with new things my children know, things I have no time to sit and teach them. Having dinner last night, I was reading a book to both children as they happily sat and ate dinner. Miss Z who turned 2 back in July, kept stopping me, pointing to random numbers on the pages and said them out loud.
She knows all numbers from 1 to 10…..I didn’t teach her that……her time at day care has enabled her to pick up and learn so many things. I was just so proud of her, and you could tell she was so proud of herself.
As much as there is a lot of frustration at times, the best thing we have done is for me to return to work, part time, for my own sanity, and for the children to gain the benefits of child care 3 days a week.