Women are being urged to look after their bones during Healthy Bones Action Week (August 3-10), which aims to reverse the increasing prevalence of osteoporosis in Australia.
Two in three Australians will develop osteoporosis or osteopenia, and by 2022, 6.2 million Australians will be affected, an increase of 31 percent from 2012.[i]
Celebrating its 20th anniversary this year, the week’s theme of “Stronger Together” calls on women to spread the message about the importance of protecting their bones to create a stronger generation of women.
During the week, women are being encouraged to incorporate three simple actions into their everyday lives to build and maintain healthy bones:
1. Enjoy milk, cheese and yogurt for calcium
2. Do weight bearing exercise
3. Get safe sunshine for Vitamin D
Dr Roxanne Portolesi, Nutrition Science Manager, from Dairy Australia said that osteoporosis is seen as an “older women’s” condition but the damage can be done decades earlier.
Around nine out of 10 women aged 19-49 years do not consume enough calcium-rich dairy foods to keep their bones healthy.[ii]
“Our bones are like bank accounts – the more you invest in them by incorporating calcium-rich foods in your snacks and meals, the more resilient your bones will be.
“There are many healthy and delicious ways of adding more calcium into your day – an easy way is to start and end your day with dairy.”
Some top tips for getting more calcium in your day include:
- For an indulgent but healthy 3pm snack, slip the stone out of a fresh date, fill with fresh ricotta or cream cheese and roasted hazelnuts or almonds – perfect with a latte!
- Spicy winter stews and slow-cooker casseroles go perfectly with a generous dollop of yogurt on top.
- And, for dessert don’t forget the ever favourite custard. Keep a box of custard powder and some UHT milk in your pantry and you’ll have a healthy emergency dessert kit on hand whenever you need it.
As part of Healthy Bones Action Week, women are being urged to Share-Talk-Act for bone health by sending an e-health message to remind friends and family of the three simple actions that can help prevent osteoporosis. Every message shared provides an additional opportunity to win a $100 voucher – there are 70 x $100 vouchers to be won (10 every day during Healthy Bones Action Week!).
Visit www.healthybones.com.au to get involved or for information and recipe ideas.