It’s such a surprise how time evaporates when a little person enters your life. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve asked myself, “what did I do with my time BC (before children)?”
For example, BC, it used to take me a good hour to get my makeup and clothes on.
Now, AC (After Children), I can be ready for a black-tie function in less than 15 minutes.
The reason is that I have to work with the time I have, and with three kids, that means next to nothing! I’ve learnt to book the babysitter half an hour before I need to leave the house so that I can have my 15 minutes of uninterrupted dressing time (with the other 15 minutes as briefing and transition time).
Another thing experience (= lots of trial and lots of errors) has taught me is that there are some fabulous products that do more than one thing to help time poor mums like me, and possibly you, too.
So, as a special treat, I’m going to let you in on my hard-earned hot mamma secret skincare short cuts:
1. Purastat 5 cleanser – this one is brilliant as it has lactic acid so it’s a light exfoliant (why Cleopatra reputedly bathed in milk) as well as a cleanser. A 240ml bottle lasts about 6 months cleansing morning and night, and costing 20 cents a wash. Available from qualified skin clinicians, as it’s medical grade skin care and made by Aspect
2. Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Sunscreen Lotion – ditch the moisturiser, this sunblock does this as well as providing 30+ SPF coverage. As it’s dry touch, your makeup doesn’t slide off making it practical for everyday use. With 4-hour water resistance, it’s practical, too. About $12 from the supermarket.
3. Bio-Oil – I used this one to prevent stretch marks (successfully!) during each of my pregnancies where I gained 20 kilograms, and am now addicted to the curative properties for just about anything on me – dry skin, redness, scars – and the children – mossie bites, eczema, hurt pride etc.
4. BB Cream – this is a go-to on my non-work days (I use Garnier’s) where I need some coverage but not the full on made up look. There’s a reason these are called miracle creams, as they moisturize, minimize pores and wrinkles and provide light coverage. For summer, I dust with translucent powder to keep the shine away.
5. Vani-T 4 in 1 Mineral Colour Stick – When your eyes are glued together thanks to a lack of sleep and you’re running on autopilot, you need to make sure the products you reach for really earn their keep. Enter this handy stick that can be used on lips, cheeks and eyes and in 8 shades. Not only is this one a life saver when facing a normal day, it’s super for travelling light with all that functionality. Around $43.