A treat after swimming lessons has turned to tragedy for a NSW family, after their five-year-old choked on a common snack.

Imogen Lennon, from Canowindra, had just finished swimming lessons, and was being driven home by her mum Sam, when tragedy struck.

“On the drive home, Imogen was happily eating a deli frankfurt (a favourite after swimming) and chatting away to her mum from the back seat, when she suddenly started choking,” family friend Tamara Harrison explained on GoFundMe.

“Despite Sam’s heroic efforts, ringing an ambulance, the help of a passerby and eventually driving Imogen to the hospital herself (the ambulance was too far away to make it in time) beautiful Imogen passed away later at the hospital.”


Imogen has been described as bright, determined, loving and sassy with her passing leaving her family ‘shattered’.

“To make sense of such a tragic loss in such a way is inconceivable, there are no words that could accurately describe how shattered Imogen’s family are. It is impossible to imagine life without Imogen.”

Tamara started the GoFundMe fundraiser to help the family cover the costs of the funeral.

“Anyone that knows this couple knows that they are true Aussie battlers, always helping others. They would give the shirts off their backs, without a second thought should someone be in need,” Tamara wrote.

“The burden of trying to find the money to pay for Imogen’s final resting place and a fitting celebration of her short life is a burden that I would like to remove for this family, while they deal with such an unthinkable tragedy.”

Donations can be made at GoFundMe.

Kidsafe Victoria explains on its website that sausages are a common choking hazard, and the simplest ways to reduce the risk is to cut sausages, frankfurts and other meats with coarse outer skins into small pieces, and remove the skin.

@tinyheartseducation #hotdogchoking #chokingrisk #startingsolids #howtopreparehotdogs ♬ original sound – Tiny Hearts

Tiny Hearts Education recently shared a video demonstrating how to minimise the risk of choking on frankfurts. “This is the food that causes more choking deaths than any other food,” states the video.

We may get commissions for purchases made using links in this post. Learn more.
  • This is so sad and a wake up call for me letting kids eat in the car.


  • What a dreadful accident. It is certainly a reminder to us all to be careful.


  • Nearly bought some of these yesterday. Seems my good decision to not buy them was very wise


  • How very sad. Tragic to lose a child like this. My heart goes out to them.


  • So sad, we need to be more careful with food


  • Tragic! Poor little thing (and her parents). RIP angel.


  • This is so sad. It was a freak accident, and she had eaten this food previously. I think the video is a good idea to avoid any future tragedies, but my heart goes out to this family.


  • This breaks my heart, just devastating! So scary that it could happen to anyone!


  • How sad. And scary. I wouldn’t have thought this was a risk at that age.


  • This is such a tragedy and so heartbreaking for all concerned.


  • That’s so heartbreaking :(


  • Oh my gosh, I’ve never heard of kids choking on a sausage before. Just tragic


  • Absolutely heartbreaking. I had no idea small sausages could be a choking hazard so glad to be warned.


  • This is heart braking, that poor family. I really feel for them. So very sad


  • Wow couldn’t imagine what this mum felt and is feeling such a tragedy


Post a comment
Add a photo
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like


Looks like this may be blocked by your browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating