Hello!

11 Comments

A four-year-old Perth boy has been seriously injured by exploding glass while he was taking a shower.

Cruz Tilbury was showering in his mother’s ensuite as she laid out his pyjamas when she heard the heart-stopping explosion.

Running around the corner, she said she found her son was screaming in agony.

“He didn’t hit [the glass], there was nothing in the shower with him… it just exploded,” Megan Tilbury told Radio 6PR.

“He got lacerations to both arms, his head and his chest, muscle damage in his arm… the plastic surgeon said he was so lucky that’s all that happened.”

cruz

“These things happen” according to the glass installer

While her son recovers from surgery in hospital, Ms Tilbury’s sister contacted the installer who reportedly told her “these things happen”.

“My sister rang the installer when my son was in surgery… and he sounded remorseful and said he would come out and replace it for free.

“He cleaned it all up and said, ‘these things can happen’ and that he couldn’t replace it for free as it didn’t have a warranty.”

Ms Tilbury has since had other glass panel experts inspect the damage who told her that the installer had not placed brackets between the glass panels and the shower tiles.

“He said there should have been a bracket,” she said.

A spokesman from the Building Commission told Ms Tilbury the incident could have been due to poor workmanship or a faulty product.

Ms Tilbury is speaking out to warn others about the possibility of the same thing happening to them.

Oh gosh what a horrible thing to happen! That poor little boy.

Share your comments below

Image via 7 news

  • wow super scary and thank god it wasn’t as bad as it could have been. lucky he was ok

    Reply

  • Poor little guy! What a shocking thing to happen. Wishing him well for his recovery.

    Reply

  • About a year ago we were told about a shower screen which suddenlyshattered and there wasn’t even anybody home. The people had gone away on a holiday and discovered it when they got home. Months later they were still finding minute size pieces of glass even after being high pressue vacuumed a few times

    Reply

  • Sounds faulty to me – the installer should be responsible.

    Reply

  • These things happen ? Not good enough !
    What if a piece of glass would have pierced one of his veins or arteries in neck or arm / wrist ??!!
    That the other expert said a bracket was missing proofs enough.
    Thank God this boy is still alive !


    • Indeed. It could have been so much worse. That man should take full responsibility for this ugly accident.

    Reply

  • it exploded inwards? It doesn’t really make sense, if he had hit it with something (which it says he didn’t) it would surely break in the other direction? I hope the poor kid recovers quickly both mentally and physically!

    Reply

  • “These things happen”??? Not even close to acceptable! Speedy recovery to this boy.

    Reply

  • I’M a little confused the installer stated : “and said he would come out and replace it for free.”
    “He cleaned it all up and said, ‘these things can happen’ and that he couldn’t replace it for free as it didn’t have a warranty.”
    He sounds a bit dodgy to me …no brackets…he needs to be held accountable if this job was done incorrectly.
    Praying for a speedy recovery for this little one.

    Reply

  • Oh this makes you look at your own showers and wonder if they have been installed correctly. Precious little boy – wishing him a speedy recovery.

    Reply

  • Really terrible. Poor child. And it could have ended even worse.
    If there were supposed to be brackets and the shower installer didn’t put them, he’s clearly in fault, I’d think!
    Let’s hope the child recover soon. He must have been so scared! Little one! :-(

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join