You know this woman – she always looks fab, not matter what she’s wearing. In jeans and t-shirt she still looks like she just stepped off the catwalk.
She doesn’t wear designer clothes, nor does she have her own personal stylist.
How does she do it?
The secret: she has mastered the art of Accessorising.
I first learned about accessorising when I was pregnant – I had few clothes that fit me and were confortable – one pair of jeans, skirt and a few basic tops. I started experimenting with jewellery, scarves and hair accessories – and what a difference it made!
Accessories can take an outfit from boring to beautiful in an instant.
Here are my 8 tips to Accessorising:
1. Don’t overdo it. A chunky necklace, big earrings and a party on your wrist is too much. Choose either a standout necklace or earrings, not both. A few bracelets clustered together can look gorgeous but one ring on your finger is enough when you have a bracelet party going on.
2. Use colourful accessories to liven up a plain outfit. A grey suit will be totally lifted with a turquoise or fuscia necklace.
3. Use accessories to point attention wear you want it. Bags under your eyes? Wear a statement necklace to take the emphasis away from your eyes. Missed your manicure? Leave the rings off and go for bold earrings instead.
4. A scarf or long necklace can be slimming. Try a few long chains or beads together to add interest.
5. Use your accessories to show your personality – use fun, classical, modern, vintage or colourful pieces to show the world who you are.
6. High neckline – wear a longer necklace; Low neckline – try shorter, chunkier pieces.
7. Don’t forget hair – a flower, a pretty hair clip or headband can add that extra spark to any outfit.
8. You can find unique pieces at Op shops and markets to add that finishing touch!
Do you have a favourite Accessory or Tip?